Friday, April 1, 2011

Basia Bulat @ The Great Hall

Basia Bulat @ The Great Hall
Saturday, March 26, 2011
Opening groups: Kat Burns & New Country Rehab

___Arriving on stage wearing a cute red dress, Ms. Kat Burns began the night jammin with her acoustic guitar. Playing to a silent hall of Basia fans, her sweet voice took our ears on a relaxing journey. Although after the first few slow songs, I did find myself kind of yawning. The talent was there, but you can't play a full set list of slow songs to fans looking for a good time... there's no logic there. By the end of it, I was happy to cheer her off stage.

___Next up was New Country Rehab. I liked them because of the amount of energy they brought to the stage... but after falling asleep to Kat Burns, I don't think I responded well to this new found energy. I liked John's (lead singer's) work with the fiddle, but as for their music, I don't think it was really my cup of tea. I felt like it was country music for old people, no offense. Also, I thought it was kinda funny how the double bass didn't seem to be plugged in at first, especially because of how serious Ben was playing the thing... Definitely an entertaining set to say the least.

___Now it was finally time for Basia to hit the stage for the first time in Toronto since her nomination for Juno's New Artist of the Year. I was personally super excited for this because I've been in love with her music for the past 3 years. I'm that girl in front who knows all the songs and leaves with a t-shirt that she will probably wear for the next few days... Hay Hay! Well needless to say, it was just as fabulous as I thought it would be! She played her cover of Sam Cooke's "Hem of his Garment" which was incredibly charming. My favourites were "Snakes & Ladders", "I was a Daughter", and "Gold Rush". She is so talented and her music will forever mark my teenage years. This is somebody I will for sure see every single time she plays a show in Toronto. If you aren't familiar with her music, GET ON IT! :D Check out her Myspace, click here!



Check this video out of Basia Bulat singing "If only you".



5 comments:

  1. Lovely recommendation! Thanks. Her vocals and instrumentation are a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a concert is like getting closure. and this one was no different. she's real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you! Couldn't have put it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Kat's songs enough to convince me to give the FCL stuff a closer listen. The albums turn out to be quite good, and their full band shows are probably well worth checking out (sadly had to miss their show this past weekend). Basia was incredible as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to Basia's show again in Portland. Cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete