Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Toro Y Moi @ The Wrongbar

Toro Y Moi @ The Wrongbar
Thursday, April 7, 2011 Opening groups: Adventure and Braids
Photo taken by Amanda Soriano (me!)

___First up was Adventure and with a name like that you better believe I had some high expectations. Someone in line before the show described their music as video game music, but I'm pretty sure I like video game music a whole lot more. This is another band I don't think I'll remember in two weeks. At most I may remember their funky hipster shirts, but again I don't think they're worth checking out. Sorry.

___Braids. This Montreal group has literally been the talk of the blogosphere for having an album with potential to be in the running for top ten at the end of the year ...and do I agree? Not really. Their set at Wrongbar took forever to start, and once it did I wasn't blown away or anything. The lead female vocalist had a very beautiful voice... but I mean that can only go so far with me. I see the hype, I just can't jump on that band wagon... it makes no sense to me. It's tired electro in my opinion. Oh wait, they're Canadian? I love them! ( :S ) haha.

___Now it was Sir Chazwick Bundick's (otherwise known as Toro Y Moi) turn to hit the stage! Arriving with complete charisma and his adorable smile, for some reason I was put into a better mood right at that second. The music was cool and his voice was soothing and all... but for some reason I didn't leave half as impressed as I thought I would. With all this hype surrounding his music, I thought I'd leave with more of a dropped jaw... and it just didn't happen. I had a good time, but it just wasn't amazing. It happened and that was that. The stage was cool! They had streams of Christmas lights and tropical fruits all over... but aside from the decorations, it was kind of a typical night listening to ambient electronic music. I think there was somethings missing, but I still can't put my finger on it. It was an alright show.

Toro Y Moi performing Low Shoulder @ Wrongbar. Footage taken from


5 of 50 with Toro Y Moi

What was your favourite record of 2010?
Chazwick: Probably the Kanye West album.

Where's your dream location to perform?
Chazwick: San Francisco, The Great American Music Hall!

If you had to choose your wedding song right now, what would you choose?

Chazwick: Pretty Young Thing by Michael Jackson


If you could sing karaoke with any artist, who would it be?
Chazwick: Kanye West!

Who do you own the most band merch from?
Chazwick: Probably Caribou.

Last words from Toro Y Moi: Enjoy the show Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment