Monday, June 25, 2012

Alabama Shakes

Twitter | Facebook | Myspace 

[Left to right: Heath Fogg (guitarist) Brittany Howard (vocalist), Zac Cockrell (bassist), Steve Johnson (drummer).] / Ben Tanner on Keys (not in the photo)

-American rock band formed in 2009 in Athens, Alabama
-The band began with Brittany and Zac meeting after school (high school) to write music. Heath (a fellow schoolmate) joined in soon after hearing how great they sounded. Shortly after the trio asked Steve (who at the time worked at their local music store) to join. The rest is history, The Alabama Shakes were born! (Fun fact: They used to be 'The Shakes', but changed it to distinguish themselves from other bands called The Shakes.)
-"The things you haven't worked through... or things you can't really talk about...just put them in a song ...you might know someone and you want to tell them something but you can't cause it'll just make everything really awkward.. so you just write a song about it." - Brittany / I really liked how honest and real what was said was.
-Justin from Aquarium Drunkard blog found The Alabama Shakes and posted on the band and it was only then did the band begin to blow up.
-Covers Led Zepplin's 'How Many More Time', listen here.
-Played Bonnaroo 2012, Coachella 2012, and are expected at Lollapalooza!
-Appeared on Conan O'Brien, and David Letterman.
-Toured with Jack White
-Brittany's dream collaboration as mention on NME's Youtube interview is Jim James (My Morning Jacket) and Jack White (for his 'awesome' guitar work)

Songs to Listen to: Hold on, I Found You, Rise to the Sun



Conclusion: FML, this band is my summer band. FML because I only started to love them now. I feel like I've been missing out hardcore because of this, but none the less I am sooo in love with them. Brittany is just incredible. Her voice is just... I'm awe-stricken. I find myself completely losing my voice trying to keep up with her at home. The lyrics, the simplicity, the Roots feel as a package has me completely on team Alabama Shakes. Band of the summer friends, get into it.

1 comment:

  1. Alabama Shakes released the four-song EP Alabama Shakes in September 2011, gained media attention (including by NPR),[7] and earned them an invitation to play at CMJ.[8] The successful show CMJ in October 2011 caught the attention of Jon Pareles of The New York Times, who praised Howard's singing (comparing her to Janis Joplin) and the band's energy and musicianship.
    phlebotomy training in AL

    ReplyDelete